by Dr. Alison Mancuso
For a healthy and tasty summer snack for the whole family, check out this recipe for Watermelon “Cake,” by Dr. Alison Mancuso:
1/2 Large Watermelon
2 cups fat free vanilla Greek yogurt
8 ounce container frozen fat free CoolWhip, thawed
½ cup raspberries
½ cup blueberries
1. Remove rind from watermelon without disturbing watermelon’s shape.
2.Slice watermelon into discs about 1 inch thick. Do not worry about diameter at this point.
3. Choose three largest diameter discs and cut to uniform size and shape by using a 6 to 8 inch circular plastic storage container to score and cut melon. Set melon aside.
4. In medium bowl mix yogurt and cool whip together.
5. Layer watermelon disc and frosting for the three discs. You may want to secure discs together with toothpicks to prevent slipping.
6. Using frosting spreader, cover watermelon with frosting and top with raspberries and blueberries in desired pattern
Dr. Alison Mancuso is an Assistant Professor of Family Medicine at Rowan School of Osteopathic Medicine in Southern New Jersey. One of her hobbies is preparing healthy foods for herself and her family.